VR/AR and metaverse analysis every Wednesday and Sunday // 7 July 2022
If you are reading this, make sure to collect your free copy of The Marketer’s Guide to the Metaverse. Also, Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak is absolutely incredible. One of the best multiplayer games I have ever played, now with a new carousel of critters to slay. Highly recommend!
Predictions and activities
IDC predicted that Meta‘s dominance in VR will be challenged in the years to come.
- The report also included estimations on market ownership; Meta owns 90% of the market, while Pico is 4.5%. An unfair comparison considering the early stages of Pico’s growth, but the dominance is clear. Still, it’s an estimation.
- One reason is profitability; undercutting the price of VR hardware cannot last forever, as the rapid deployment hits its bottom line.
- The report also focused on Apple; for better or worse, a lot of eyes are on the company. I am wary, in the sense that we haven’t seen anything from them yet. I recommend the same.
Colnaghi worked with Endava to launch a new virtual experience unlocking the story of Orazio Gentlishechi’s Rest on the Flight into Egypt.
- Why is it virtual? Because it includes new processes that bring the artwork to life. For example, there are high-resolution x-rays displayed within the virtual experience, which means that viewers can perceive moments where the artist changed his mind during the process of painting. And here he changed the position of the virgin’s hand, and where the location of the linen clasped by the Christ Child was moved.
- I like this a lot, and it shows how immersive technologies can help tell an artwork’s story.
What are your thoughts on the growth of the VR headset market? Join the discussion and meet like-minded professionals on the Immersive Wire Discord.
The Marketer’s Guide to the Metaverse
The Marketer’s Guide to the Metaverse is now available for free. Get key insights on how top marketeers are tapping into the potential of the metaverse, and help your business capitalise on the next emerging trend in a tasteful and authentic way.
New appointments, new Apple rumours
Got stories? Do let me know at tom (at) immersivewire (dot) com.
- AIXR announced the launch of the AIXR Centre for Immersive Innovation.
- Beem launched an enterprise user licence for the production and mobile-web distribution of branded AR hologram content, via its app.
- Encore announced the release of the new Encore Studio App, which builds on its AR capabilities.
- Fast Travel Games released the first free content update for Cities: VR.
- Immerse launched a social app where people can learn languages on the Quest 2.
- Disclaimer: I assisted Immerse with the announcement.
- Little Cities, the city creator VR game, has been updated to include hand tracking.
- Mona, an open metaverse platform, has closed its $14.6m funding round.
- NetEase invested ‘several million dollars’ in Something Random, a VR studio.
- PatchXR will release PatchWorld for Meta Quest 2 on 7 July.
- Siemens and NVIDIA announced an expansion of their partnership to enable the industrial metaverse.
- Digital twins are an interesting one, and worth following closely.
- StoryTrails opened this week and touring the UK over the next few months, with seven projects on show.
- The State of AR/VR survey is live. Share your views on the popular AR/VR tools, platforms, and technologies in return for a chance to win prizes.*
*Sponsored link from SlashData.
Subscribe to the Immersive Wire newsletter
Level up your knowledge of VR, AR, and the metaverse with rigorous and high-quality analysis, to gain a competitive advantage against your peers. By subscribing, you also receive a free PDF copy of the Immersive Reality Revolution, a bestselling book on the industry. Curated by Tom Ffiske every Wednesday and Sunday, and enjoyed by over 5,000 professionals.
Editor, Immersive Wire
Tom Ffiske is the Editor of the Immersive Wire, a weekly newsletter on the immersive industry.