By Tom Ffiske
VR/AR and metaverse analysis every Wednesday and Sunday // 18 May 2022
I don’t typically skim headlines, but I did a double-take when I saw a piece on how dentistry is entering the metaverse. Somehow.
Wunderman Thompson Intelligence found that only 15% of people are actually able to explain what the metaverse is.
- Covering China, the US, and UK, the survey shows the immense confusion across the three (disparate) regions.
- I would like to see more of a focus on China in an upcoming survey, to see how the country sees immersive technologies as a whole. But for now, it is clear that the trill of noise obfuscates the wider picture.
Meta showed its new headset in a demo.
- While the story is largely covered, what I raise a question-mark about is the choice of demo. Rumours point to it being an enterprise device; so why use a demo with a kids-like theme, leading a furry creature along?
- Perhaps it will have a high-end campaign where it will advertise its use for consumers, with a side-effect that it can be used by businesses too. In any case, one to watch closely as it (inevitably) lands later this year.
Supported by Zesty
With Zesty, you can advertise your brand or product to a monthly audience of over 450,000 metaverse users while they’re in an immersive experience. Click to learn more.
Items to look out for
Got a story? Let me know at tom (at) immersivewire (dot) com.
- In the Mist is a VR film appearing at Queer East Film Festival.
- Will see if I can find to watch this, it looks fantastic.
- Loco Dojo Unleashed is updated on the Quest Store with the VIP Party patch, bringing Quest Party & friend invites support, VIP gold masks to unlock, and ‘Four Round Fury’ multiplayer mode
- MeetinVR ApS announced that it is launching the next version of its metaverse collaboration solution for businesses and education.
- MOTHERGUNSHIP: FORGE will launch onMeta Quest 2 and SteamVR for Valve Index on 16 June.
- Playlines announced the first Spatial Narrative Lab at The Old Market theatre in Brighton
- Startup Wise Guys and the City Council of Malaga announced the launch of the first-ever international, XR-specific startup accelerator program and investment fund.
- The Emergence SDK allows people to connect their wallets to games, so they can verify their skins.
- The People Hub launched an interactive virtual-reality experience and digital skills course to combat digital illiteracy.
- I love and 100% support initiatives like these.
- University College London’s (UCL) edtech accelerator programme launched into the Americas, and is all set to begin the 12-week experience.
- VITURE raised more than $2.45mn for the VITURE One.
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall is coming to Meta Quest 2 on 19 May.
- XR Valley Association launched, bringing together Belgian XR professionals.
Subscribe to the Immersive Wire newsletter
Level up your knowledge of VR, AR, and the metaverse with rigorous and high-quality analysis, to gain a competitive advantage against your peers. By subscribing, you also receive a free PDF copy of the Immersive Reality Revolution, a bestselling book on the industry. Curated by Tom Ffiske every Wednesday and Sunday, and enjoyed by over 5,000 professionals.
Editor, Immersive Wire
Tom Ffiske is the Editor of the Immersive Wire, a weekly newsletter on the immersive industry.